Somehow when I installed it the NACA vent on the left side moved backward about half an inch. I didn’t notice it for a day or so and by that time the ProSeal had set up completely. My first inclination was to leave it as is and “repair” it with a bit of extra fiberglass. Jon and I discussed it and decided to remove the vent.
Using a safety knife and a carpet knife I was able to cut through most of the ProSeal to remove the vent. Unfortunately, during the process I had to destroy the vent itself.
I salvaged the eyeball part ($160) but will have to re-buy the fiberglass NACA vent which isn’t too expensive. I have about another hour of effort to remove the last of the ProSeal that is still on the inside of the fuselage skin.
This was one of those rare days where things went smoothly with no mistakes, re-dos or other issues.
I got both sticks in. The cross connect is a bit challenging because there isn’t much room to work and there are washers and spacers that all have to be installed. I checked the alignment between the two sticks and the stick travel (fore and aft) and both were well within tolerance.
I then worked on the small Ray Allen sensor that is used to send the flap position to the EFISs and power controller. I was expecting this to be more difficult then it turned out to be. I had to remove part of the flap assembly that had been installed earlier so I could drill a hole in it but this was pretty straight forward. I still have to run the sensor’s wiring to the panel (when the panel arrives that is).
I got good news on the propeller and the interior. Both should ship in the next few days (a bit ahead of schedule). The finish kit should be in the crating process now so that should be coming in the next three weeks or so.
The instrument panel is being built at Steinair now (due in April-ish). The engine is likely to be mid May.
Jon and I have decided to remove the NACA vent that moved during install and redo it. Sucks, but in the end it will be better.
As usual a couple steps forward combined with a step or so backward.
We removed the airplane from the rotisserie (so we could access the firewall).
We worked on the stainless steel/fiberflax barrier for the firewall. This is designed to prevent a firewall forward fire from penetrating the cockpit. The challenge is that there are all kinds of penetrations that have to be cut out. Stuff like the master solenoid, the starter solenoid, the brake master cylinder, and various other components that are either mounted on the firewall or pass through the firewall.
There were also about 50 stainless steel rivets to install that hold the insulation “sandwich” to the aluminum firewall itself.
I installed the idler arms and linkages for the elevator control tubes. Not that difficult though I spent a fair amount of time getting washers and nuts all lined up in a fairly confined space.
I put the left stick together (twice since I initially had it backward) and installed it in the airplane. I will do the right stick next time I am in the workshop.
This is where I made my mistake that will require ordering more parts from Van’s. The top forward edge of the firewall has a piano hinge that is used to secure the back of the engine cowling. I carefully followed the directions but ended up with the holes too close to the edge of the hinge (I contend the plans have an error in them). The part is only $17 and I will add it to the finish kit which is being crated as we speak. Hopefully, I will have it in two weeks.
I also found an “oops” from a previous work session (NACA vent moved).
I got word that the Lycoming Thunderbolt engine that was originally supposed to arrive in March is now scheduled for May. Not too bad since I suspect I won’t be ready until late April anyway.
Propeller should be sooner. Also the interior (seats, stick boots, side panels etc.) should arrive from the manufacturer in Europe in about three weeks.
It is definitely starting to look like an airplane.
14 hours (2 people times 7 hours each)
Jon stopped by to work on some more fuselage / tail interior items. We focused on completing the brake lines, installing the elevator control linkages and installing the pitch and yaw servos. We also ProSealed the NACA fresh air vent on the left side of the airplane. As usual we have another couple small items to order from Van’s Aircraft (total cost about $2 but shipping will be another $6).
Total time 7 hours (Jon 6, me 1)
I worked on the canopy hinges, gas struts and the canopy release mechanism. As usual, I put something together, tightened down bolts and then realized that I had missed a step and had to take it back apart. I have to wait for the paint to dry on one part of the canopy hinge mechanism so the total progress was miniscule.
I had planned to do some ProSeal work on the air vent today, but decided to put that off til tomorrow.
Total time: 2 hours
Completed rudder pedals and plumbing some of the in-cockpit brake lines. Because we are using TS Flightline brake lines, we had to enlarge one of the holes in the rudder pedal assembly middle support bracket to pass the brake lines through.
Realized that the rudder cables were in backward (forward end was at the tail ). The ends of the cable are different. Had to drill out several rivets where the cable exits the fuse near the tail to swap the cables end for end.
Found a couple places where we missed putting in some rivets. Luckily they were pretty easy to get to.
Attached the rudder cable anti-rub tubing to the center fuse using 4 adell clamps. It was especially difficult because there is very little room to get fingers and wrenches in there.
12 hours (2 people x 6 hours each).